Elise Haynes chronicles family life in her blog Haynes Family Yard Sale. The opinions stated in this article are solely her own and not those of St. George News.
HUMOR – Recently our First Lady stunned the fashion-blogging world (a crowd that is, admittedly, easily stunned) by wearing a $39 dress from Target. Let me say this: I wear clothes that cost way less than $39 all of the time and it doesn’t set the blogosphere a-buzz. I can’t decide if I should be offended or relieved.
However, it seems that many people are applauding Michelle Obama for her apparent humility in shopping at Target – or at least sending one of her aides to Target with her credit card. While I appreciate the thought of our First Lady pretending to be one of us, let’s get real. Her husband’s the president of the United States. The Secret Service will be following her around until the day she dies. Nice try, Michelle. But, I still like you.
Yes, I said it. I like Michelle Obama. I hesitate to make such a polarizing statement about myself, but it’s true. I figure we have three choices when we meet people (or see them on the news): We can either like them or we can hate them, and we can save our love for people who buy gifts for us. It’s easier to like someone than it is to hate him or her – unless they honk at you in traffic, then all bets are off. Honking-people aside, what Martin Luther King Jr. said is true: “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
Say what you will about Barack, but I have a hard time disliking Michelle. The following are reasons I think our current First Lady is awesome:
1. She planted a vegetable garden at the White House. She is the first First Lady since Eleanor Roosevelt to do so, according to Wikipedia – the font of all wisdom and knowledge. I think that’s pretty great. I wonder if the other residents of Pennsylvania Avenue often find grocery bags full of zucchini dumped on their front porch courtesy of the First Lady.
2. She is working to end childhood obesity through her Let’s Move campaign. The website even shows pictures of Michelle eating a public school lunch without dry heaving.
3. I once saw a photograph of her jumping rope with a bunch of little girls. I don’t care if you are a Democrat, a Republican or a Communist, jumping rope with kids makes you instantly awesome.
4. She skipped second grade. Whether that means that she went from first grade straight to third grade, or she just stopped going to school that year, it’s something to appreciate.
5. She’s 5’11”. Who doesn’t love a tall woman who is not afraid to wear high heels? I mean, besides really short guys.
6. She has admirably muscular arms. I hope that when I’m First Lady my arms are half that muscular.
I’m sure that Michelle and I could argue about political issues until we were blue in the face and she would surely beat the crap out of me in an arm wrestle, but I mostly like her. I don’t care if her Target dress was a political stunt to make her appear more “of the people.” I can’t help but like someone who can simultaneously jump rope and hold a law degree from Harvard.
email: [email protected]
Copyright 2012 St. George News.
Outstanding article. Nice to find an informative and upbeat piece far removed from the usual negative quagmire of DC-related news.
She may “hold a law degree from Harvard”, but she also lost her license to practice law. So what good does it do to just “hold a law degree from Harvard”? As a matter of fact, I like her too…since she can’t practice law.
From what I understand, Michelle Obama didn’t lose her license to practice law, it’s on temporary inactive status. I bet there’s a big difference. Firefly, maybe you’ll like her EVEN MORE now that you know that she doesn’t practice law voluntarily.
@Firefly- I’m from the State of Illinois, which is where Michelle Obama’s law license is registered and I don’t know about other states, but when you don’t practice law for a long period of time, it becomes inactive. FYI, “losing” and “inactive” are not the same thing.
…And some say this nice family is the anti-Christ!
Why is michele obama so UGLY
That is my question
Now this is what I call objective reporting — just awesome!
@pleasenomo, Gee, that’s nice, I’d like to see just how you look!