Fire scare erupts at senior apartment complex after paper towels ignite

Firefighters respond to an emergency call at Red Cliffs Manor, St. George, Utah, April 1, 2015 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News

ST. GEORGE – Multiple fire engines were dispatched to a senior apartment complex in St. George Wednesday night for a potential structure fire. The fire was short-lived yet produced a great deal of smoke. The cause of the fire: paper towel rolls being stored in an oven.

A woman living in an apartment at Red Cliffs Manor, 1680 E. 280 North, was cleaning the top of an oven and apparently switched it to “broil” without noticing, St. George Fire Capt. Sam Larson said.

“That started the paper towels on fire,” he said.

Firefighters responding to an emergency call at Red Cliffs Manor, St. George, Utah, April 1, 2015 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News
Firefighters respond to an emergency call at Red Cliffs Manor, St. George, Utah, April 1, 2015 | Photo by Mori Kessler, St. George News

The oven door was opened and smoke began to billow from the burning paper towel rolls. Wet towels were placed on the paper towels, though they continued to smoke.

The Fire Department and other emergency responders were dispatched to the scene after a 911 call was received just after 10 p.m.

The fire was primarily contained to the paper towels in the oven, though smoke filled the apartment and also got out in the hallway of that part of the complex, Larson said.

The smoldering paper towels were taken to an outside patio and had water poured on them while firefighters brought in fans to blow out the smoke.

“Everything was mostly just smoke,” Larson said. “All the smoke’s cleared out, but it’s going to smell like smoke for a while.”

No one was injured as a result of the fire, Larson said. Two pet cats in the living in the apartment were also fine, he said.

St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker said the Fire Department responded with multiple fire engines – there were at least three or four on scene – due to the potential risk a fire at the apartment complex may have entailed.

“One of our main concerns with these places is the amount of people,” Stoker said. “It’s one of our high-risk occupancies.”

As occupants of Red Cliffs Manor are older, Stoker added, the smoke poses a potential health risk if not removed.

St. George Police and Gold Cross Ambulance also responded to the scene and were subsequently released once it was determined the residents weren’t in danger. Firefighters remained on scene until about 11 p.m.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by emergency responders and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Related posts

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright St. George News, LLC, 2015, all rights reserved.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • fun bag April 2, 2015 at 12:19 pm

    need to do a investigative report on those violated farm animals out in Hurri’kun. Site will get more popular overnight…

    • Robb April 2, 2015 at 2:26 pm

      You’ve mentioned this before, Gas Bag. You seem oddly invested in this violation of animals business. And I shudder to think what website you are talking about. Sounds like you need to get something off your chest. Don’t worry, people couldn’t think any worse of you than they already do.

  • Freelance April 2, 2015 at 5:48 pm

    Oh oh fun bag made ROBB cry again. Whàaaaaaaaaaa whàaaaaaaaaaa

    • Robb April 2, 2015 at 9:25 pm

      Oh goody. The debate team just checked in. Know what PEEPANCE, you and your soul mate need to kick it up a notch. You’re getting boring.

  • Car4sale April 3, 2015 at 9:05 am

    Oh oh you guys made ROBB cry again.. Lmao.. You guys crack me up

    • Robb April 3, 2015 at 10:45 am

      Aw, how sweet. PEEPANTS made up a new imaginary friend.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.